Winners announced for the 2017 Harvesting Excellence Industry Awards
Food & Beverage Manitoba announces the winners of the 2017 Harvesting Excellence Industry Awards
In a sold-out event at the Qualico Family Centre in Assiniboine Park Food & Beverage Manitoba staff, board of directors, members, government dignitaries and guests gathered for an evening of food, networking and sharing in successes over the past year.
We are pleased to announce the 2017 Industry Award winners:
- Local Favourite Food – Bothwell Cheese
- Local Favourite Grocery Retailer – Red River Co-op
- Local Favourite Restaurant – fusion grill
- Supplier of the Year – Thermo Design Insulation
- Rising Star Award – Carly Minish, Smak Dab Mustard
- Industry Mentor – Lawrence Porhownik, Perfect Pierogies
- Innovation Award – The Canadian Birch Company
- Best New Product – Fauxnola Baked Carrot, Black Pepper & Tumeric Granola
- Company of the Year – The Winning Combination
- President’s Award – Danny Kleinsasser, Danny’s Whole Hog BBQ & Smokehouse
The theme of this year’s industry awards was “Harvesting Excellence”, following the idea of a traditional fall supper with friends and family to celebrate another successful year. The dinner, prepared by Chef Heiko Duehrsen and the staff at the Qualico Family Centre, was made using a wide variety of Food & Beverage Manitoba member products like pork, pierogies, and vegetables.
A fall supper of course needs pie, and pie there was. A pie auction was held to raise funds for The Canadian Cancer Society, both as a silent auction and two live auctions. There were 13 pie and pie related items in the silent auction donated by Food & Beverage Manitoba members; the live auctions were a Grey Cup Pizza Party for 15 from Red River Co-op, and Pie-For-A-Year from Save-On-Foods. Over $2500 was raised, with all funds staying in Manitoba to support those living with cancer.
About the event, Executive Director Dave Shambrock says, “Manitoba has so many wonderful food producers and suppliers, and to be able to honour them for their hard work over the last year is something that is great to be part of. Sometimes we get wrapped up in our day to day activities and it’s important to stop and take a few minutes to reflect on the little things that make Manitoba unique. Manitoba’s food and beverage industry is truly second to none.”
The event was sold out with over 150 attendees, with many more on a waitlist. Next year’s industry awards will be bigger than ever before. We encourage you to join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on this and all other training and networking events coming in the future. Register your email at foodbeveragemb.ca